E-News subscription
Product Enquiry
0
Manufacturing - Flawed figures have led to Veja’s ‘less leather’ decision
23 February 2021

Footwear brand Veja has published a detailed report on its carbon footprint. It said in the report that the raw materials it uses to make its shoes contribute 71% of its total carbon footprint. It went on to say that leather accounts for 97% of the impact of all of its raw materials.


Footwear brand Veja has published a detailed report on its carbon footprint. It said in the report that the raw materials it uses to make its shoes contribute 71% of its total carbon footprint. It went on to say that leather accounts for 97% of the impact of all of its raw materials.

Based on this, Veja said it had decided to reduce the presence of leather in its collections. It pointed out that, while 70% of the shoes in its autumn-winter collection in 2019 contained leather, the corresponding figure for autumn-winter 2020 was 51%.
In its calculations, it found that 70% of the carbon footprint that it attributes to leather occurs upstream in the supply chain, mostly from cattle farming. It attributed the remaining 30% to leather production and transportation. The European Commission has said that the share of the upstream carbon footprint attributable to leather is not 70% but 0.42%.

To read the rest of this article, click on Leatherbiz + Veja

標籤:
留言
留言
0 個留言