Dates: 19 November 2019
Time: 09:00 – 16:30
Venue: Novotel Century Hong Kong, 238 Jaffe Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Speaker: Karl Flowers
Standard Rate*: USD495/person
Member Rate*: USD450/person (APLF Exhibitors / BLC Members)
* including one full-day course and refreshments
09:00 Arrival and refreshments
09:30 What do we make leather from and why?
- An introduction to the different types of raw material with particular emphasis on cow hides, sheepskin, pigskin, goat etc. in relation to use in leather products.
Common defects found on leather and what has caused them
- An overview of the more common defects found on leather and their relevant causes. Examples will be used to illustrate the defects. Scars, looseness, growth lines, tick marks, barbed wire, brands, strain and common processing faults will be identified.
- A brief overview of the leather manufacturing process
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
13:45 What leather types can we make?
- How is the leather grade and the leather type related?
- Different leather types and their performance will be considered (aniline, semi-aniline, pigmented, suede, oiled...)
Specifications and due diligence
- The importance of product specifications will be discussed and how they form a vital part of due diligence protocols and supplier management systems
What can go wrong and how can we help our customers?
- Recommended care and maintenance and an overview of common complaints, including case studies illustrating problems with cleaning, fading and colour change of leather, problems with surface finishes, inappropriate cutting of leather etc.
16:00 Questions and Discussion
16:30 Review and close
Leather swatches and manuals will be provided
After just one day - you will know a lot more about this important and interesting material. If you bring along any current issues or questions, the BLC presenter will happily discuss these with you and will be able to provide expert advice on how to solve problems such as mould on leather products, colour migration, leather creasing in production and many more.
*** Bookings are non-cancellable. There will be no refunds once payment has been made.
For enquiries, please contact us at [email protected]aplf.com .