Dates: 21 - 22 November 2017
Time: 09:15 – 16:30
Venue: Plaza 3, Novotel Century Hong Kong, 238 Jaffe Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Speaker: Karl Flowers
Member Rate*: USD460/person
Standard Rate*: USD500/person
* including one full-day course and refreshments
Our One Day Understanding Leather Course aims to provide delegates with the basic fundamentals of leather and the process of leather making, whilst helping to provide you with confidence when dealing with suppliers, manufacturers and tanners. Covering topics such as leather problems and solutions and understanding different leather types, this course is ideal for anyone needing an overview of leather.
09:15 Arrival and coffee
09:30 Morning Session
What do we make leather from and why?
- An introduction to the different types of raw material with particular emphasis on cowhide, sheepskin, pigskin, goat, etc. in relation to use in leather products.
Common defects found on leather and what has caused them
- An overview of the more common defects found on leather and their relevant causes. Examples will be used to illustrate the defects. Scars, looseness, growth lines, tick marks, barbed wire, brands, strain and common processing faults will be identified.
Overview of leather production process
- Raw material management, beamhouse, tanning types, re-tanning, dyeing, drying and finishing. Including a short tannery video
What leather types can we make?
- How is the leather grade and the leather type related?
- Different leather types and their performance will be considered (aniline, semi-aniline, pigmented, suede, oiled......)
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
13:45 Afternoon Session
Specifications and labelling
- The importance of product specifications will be discussed and how they form a vital part of due diligence protocols and supplier management systems.
- Cleaning and general leather care tips
What can go wrong and how can we help our customers?
- Recommended care and maintenance and an overview of common complaints, including case studies illustrating problems with cleaning, fading and colour change of leather, problems with surface finishes, inappropriate cutting of leather etc.
15:00 - 16:30 Question and answers
Leather swatches and manuals will be provided
After just one day - you will know a lot more about this important and interesting material. If you bring along any current issues or questions, the BLC presenter will happily discuss these with you and will be able to provide expert advice on how to solve problems such as mould on leather products, colour migration, leather creasing in production and many more.
*** Bookings are non-cancellable. There will be no refunds once payment has been made.
For enquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .